Babies explore things with their mouths and when they are in this phase it is very important that parents are vigilant all the time to avoid putting small or toxic things in their mouths. Something small that seems harmless can be a deadly weapon for a baby, suffocate and die.
A child who suffocates is the worst nightmare for any parent. Young children love to explore with their hands and mouth, so anything around them can become a hazard. The sequencing is always the same: the baby notices an object that is interesting to him, picks it up, drops it (or looks at it), picks it up again and puts it in his mouth … and parents panic , And for good reason.
Children under the age of five have an airway the size of their little finger. Just a quick look at the size of your own little finger should tell you that that’s too small. Getting something stuck is too easy. Although there is a nausea reflex to prevent choking, there are some objects, textures, and foods that are too difficult to control.
Like all things safety, when it comes to choking, prevention is key, and knowing which foods and objects most often cause choking can reduce your risk.
The grapes seem harmless but they are not, they can stay in the windpipe if you allow them to put them whole in the mouth. To be sure that your child eats them safely, you will need to cut them into quarters before offering them to your child.
A deflated piece of balloon can completely seal a child’s airway. Although they are fun to play with, if they pop they are too easy to swallow. Never leave a small child playing with a balloon without you watching all the time.
3. THE CAPS OF THE PLASTIC BOTTLES
Babies love to play with water bottles. They like the sound they make and enjoy moving it around like a rattle. It looks like a harmless object, but it is actually very dangerous because both babies and not so young children are able to remove the plastic cap and put it in their mouths.
Toddlers and babies love to play with their toys, but many of them can have batteries … that sometimes fall to the ground. In addition to being a choking hazard, lithium batteries (button cells) can cause serious damage in as little as two hours if swallowed. If the part where the batteries are put is not screwed on, you will have to seal it with adhesive tape.
5. BUTTER OR PEANUT BUTTER
This type of butter or cream is very thick and sticks on the palate, but a tablespoon of this cream can stick on your child’s palate, so it is best to avoid it until he is older. It is not essential for your diet at all.
6. I THINK FOR PETS
Little ones who crawl or walk so close to sleep see pet food as something they can explore. But these small, tough pieces are a serious choking hazard for your little one. It is necessary that you keep pet food out of the reach of your young child and always pick up what falls to sleep.
What makes popcorn a hazard is the fact that kids generally eat it by the handful rather than one piece at a time, making it easier for a piece to get stuck. Popcorn is best not offered to your children until they are older.