When a woman decides to start the search for a pregnancy, one of the things to watch out for is her period. Every month a woman has a series of fertile days , during which she has the possibility of becoming pregnant. Therefore, knowing those days each month is essential to be able to have sex during that period. So the chances of achieving the desired positive increase significantly.
Women who have a regular menstrual period, have it easier in this sense since they can have a more or less exhaustive control of what their fertile days are between each period. But those other women who have an uncontrolled or irregular menstrual period , have more difficulty finding out which are the most favorable days to seek pregnancy.
HOW IS THE FEMALE MENSTRUAL CYCLE
The menstrual cycle of women is the period of time that elapses between the first day of a period and the first day of the next menstruation. Generally, the menstrual cycle lasts 28 days, although there are variations . If the cycle lasts between 25 and 31 days, it is also considered normal.
Every month, the woman’s body prepares itself giving the possibility of a pregnancy . During the days that the menstrual cycle lasts, a series of hormonal changes take place that affect the woman physically and emotionally. Around the middle of the cycle ovulation occurs, this occurs when the egg has reached maturity and is expelled from the ovary.
During the days that the egg is released, it moves through the fallopian tubes until it reaches the uterus. It is in these days when there is the greatest possibility of getting pregnant , since if a sperm fertilizes the ovum and it lodges in the uterus, pregnancy occurs.
HOW TO FIND OUT THE FERTILE DAYS IF THE PERIOD IS IRREGULAR
If your menstrual period is irregular, it will be a bit more difficult to know exactly your fertile days, but that does not mean that it is impossible. There are different methods to know the ovulation period , so that all women have the possibility to control their fertile days if they wish.
Measuring basal temperature
Monitoring your basal temperature will help you know what your fertile days are. This temperature is the one that the human body reaches just rising, after a rest of at least 5 hours. During the fertile days, the basal temperature rises slightly so that through an exhaustive temporal study , you can find out what your fertile days are each month.
This method is slow, since you need to do it for a few months to get really reliable data. But it really is an effective method, if you are trying to get pregnant and you are irregular, this can help a lot to achieve it since you can have unprotected sex on your most favorable days of each month:
- Analyzing the variations of the cervical mucus : As we mentioned at the beginning, during the menstrual cycle a series of hormonal changes take place in the woman’s body. This can also extend to vaginal discharge, which varies in consistency and appearance depending on the phase of the menstrual cycle in which it is.
- When the menstruation ends, the vaginal discharge is barely visible, but when the fertile period begins, there is a greater fluidity of the cervical mucus . You will notice that your body expels a greater amount of flow, which will also have a slimy appearance, looking like the white of an egg.
- Through an ovulation test : You can buy this type of test at the pharmacy, without having a prescription. It is a test similar to those performed to detect pregnancy, as it works by analyzing urine. But unlike pregnancy tests, the ovulation test consists of several phases.
The ovulation test works as follows: the test measures the amount of a certain hormone that is produced during ovulation. This hormone is detected through urine, so it is very easy to do at home. The way to find out that ovulation is taking place is when the levels of the certain hormone appear higher . At this time is when unprotected sex should be had, since during these days there is a greater probability that the ovum will be fertilized.
As you can see, you have several options to know what your fertile days are if you are irregular. Before opting for any of them, you should ask yourself questions such as :
- The economy , ovulation tests are not cheap and you may have to do them for several months until you get results. And yet they are not a guarantee.
- Time , calculating basal temperature is not a matter of a few days. To have accurate data and that can really be effective, you will have to carry out the verification for several months. So you must be patient and very constant.
KNOWING THE FERTILE DAYS IS NOT A GUARANTEE
It is important that you know that knowing the fertile days is not a guarantee of success . It is not the same for a woman to start planning her pregnancy and therefore have the foresight to know her fertile days, as a woman who has problems getting pregnant and tries to achieve it by knowing her ovulation period.
In addition, even if you are fertile, factors such as the age of the two people and the health of both also influence . Therefore, the first and most important thing you should do is go to your doctor and gynecologist . It is necessary that you carry out some previous tests, to know if your imbalance is produced by some reason that it is necessary to treat.
There are different reasons that can cause your menstrual period to be irregular , but you shouldn’t downplay it simply because it has been that way for a long time. It may be a normal circumstance and it does not matter, but it is very important to be checked by a gynecologist to rule out possible irregularities .