Halloween is a great opportunity to spend more time with the little ones and do activities with them. Learn to make mummies, pumpkins, ghosts or vampires with which to have fun with your children.
Halloween night , or night of the living dead, is an event that children and adults like more and more, especially horror lovers. It can be a great opportunity to carry out activities with our children , so we propose a series of crafts to do step by step, which are simple and very fun, and will give our house a touch of terror. In crafts, steps that involve using scissors or needles are best done by adults , unless the children are older .
Mummies are very terrifying creatures , they are undead that were buried in Ancient Egypt. We can make these dolls with our children, being one of the Halloween crafts that require less materials. We just need:
– Wire (we can use whatever we have at home, for example, a clothesline from the clothes that we have left over). The amount depends on the size of the mummy, but it doesn’t take much.
– Tweezers or pliers that allow us to cut the wire.
– Strips of white cloth or bandages.
The process, step by step, is as follows:
1. We take the wire and we will give it the basic shape of a person , but flat, without giving it volume (like when we open a paper clip). We start by bending a circle or oval from the first end of the wire, which will be the head, and with the rest we make the general shape of a body, and when we finish we cut the excess wire. The arms and legs are only elongated shapes, it is not necessary to make the shapes of the hands or feet, we will do them at the end.
2. If we use strips of fabric, the longer they are easier. The ones we have, we can tie them together to get a bigger strip. If we use a bandage, it will only give to cover the wire doll. You can give the mummy an older appearance , because it has been buried for many centuries, by placing the cloth or bandage in a glass containing water and beige tempera and then letting it dry.
3. Once the fabric or bandage is prepared, we will cover the wire with it, starting at the head and continuing to the feet. To give the doll volume , we will make many turns of fabric in each area, and thus it will be rounded. We will ensure that the knots that join the strips are hidden.
4. We already have our mummy. As the base is made of wire, we can bend its extremities so that it is, for example, sitting. We can also bend the ends of the legs so that there are feet. We can also, if we want, add a face to the mummy with a marker, or by cutting out some cardboard eyes and mouth and sticking them on the face.
This is the basic process. From here, we can let our imagination fly and that of our children and make other types of horror creatures, such as vampires , ghosts, or other types of undead, such as zombies , and add the details we want.
PUMPKINS MADE WITH CHRISTMAS BALLS
We can take advantage of old Christmas tree balls to make small Halloween pumpkins to decorate the night of the witches and the undead. For this we will need:
– Christmas balls . They can be all that we want and of any size.
– Orange tissue paper .
– White glue .
– 1 brush a little fat.
– Scraps of black felt or black cardboard.
– Glue .
We explain how to do it step by step:
1. Cut the orange tissue paper into strips, which should not be very large.
2. Mix in a container with glue and water in equal parts and stir. The amount will depend on the number of balls, and the size, that we will use, but a lot of quantity is not necessary either.
3. We are applying glue on the ball with the brush, and placing the strips of tissue paper, also covering them with glue. These types of crafts make the person who makes them very dirty, but children can do it without any problem (although it is a real terror for mothers). We will give the necessary layers so that the color of the ball is not seen and a uniform orange remains , for this we have to do it without rushing, step by step. When we’re done, we let it dry.
4. Cut out with the black felt or the cardboard, depending on the material we have chosen, 3 triangles: two of them will make the eyes and one the nose of the pumpkin. We will also cut out a mouth, which can be normal or with teeth , to provoke more terror. The size will depend on the dimension of the ball.
5. We glue the facial features onto the Halloween pumpkin.
We already have our Halloween pumpkin, we can take a string and hang it from the hook that brought the Christmas ball, or leave the ones that we make posed in different parts of the house.
On Halloween night, the undead themselves, the ghosts, the kings of terror cannot be absent . That is one of the simplest crafts, and it is very beautiful. We will need the following material:
– Plastic bags or old newspapers.
– Even .
– A large white piece of cloth , for example an old sheet.
– Needle and thread.
– black marker pen , black construction paper or felt black (which we prefer) to make eyes and mouth.
– Optional: a piece of wire or a wire hanger.
The procedure, step by step, is as follows:
1. With the plastic bags, the sheets of newspaper, or whatever we have at hand, we make a ball, a little big, that will be the head of the ghost. We will cover it with zeal to make it look like a ball that does not fall apart .
2. We will cut the piece of fabric in the shape, more or less, of a circle or oval, it is not necessary that it be perfect. It will be the body of the ghost, and you have to hang a good chunk below the head.
3. We place the fabric on the ball, seeing that the shape of a ghost remains. When we see which is the correct position, we take the needle and the thread and we sew several right at the upper middle point of the phantom. Thus, on the one hand, we fasten the fabric to the ball and, on the other, the thread is secured because the ghost will hang from it. When we have sewn, we leave a piece of long thread loose and cut. This thread will be used to hang the ghost.
4. It is time to make a face . We can draw some eyes and a mouth with a marker, or make the pattern with cardboard or felt and glue it on. The eyes are two black circles or ovals, and the mouth can be smiling, or also oval in shape to provoke more terror.
5. We hang the ghost from the ceiling, the fabric will hang down and it will give the feeling that the undead have crept into our house.
6. We can add an optional step , which consists of: or sticking two pieces of wire with tape at the base of the ball, or sticking a wire hanger also at the base. Thus, we will get a ghost with a different shape and more volume.
We can make as many ghosts as we want, it will be a Halloween night full of the living dead that will amuse the children and their friends, in addition to the older ones having fun doing the crafts.
Halloween, in addition to being a night of terror for people, is also a night of terror for the teeth, as it is the night of the children’s candy binge . There are many crafts to decorate the sweets that we will eat, like these little vampires. Materials are:
– Chupa chups .
– Red cellophane paper .
– Black felt .
– Thin gold ribbon (like the one used to make a gift bow).
– Black and white paper or cardboard .
– Optional: white cotton.
The procedure, step by step, is like this:
1. We remove the lollipops from the original packaging .
2. Cut the cellophane into square pieces large enough to cover the head of the candy and a good part of the stick. To do this, we do a test first, and we cut the others according to the measure that we have been good. We wrap the candy with the cellophane , gathering it at the base of it and holding it with a gold ribbon bow so that it does not open .
3. Now we will make layers for the vampires, and they are done, step by step, like this: we cut pieces of black felt in a rectangular shape . We place the piece on the table, and on top of it the lollipop, so that the upper edge of the felt and the midpoint of the candy head are at the same height. We take a piece of ribbon and tie the lollipop and the cape together tightly with a bow, in the position they are, and making the bow at the height of the beginning of the stick: we have to visualize that the candy is the head of the vampire and the stick is the body , so the cape will be tied where the head ends. We will see that there is a piece of cape covering part of the caramel: that is the neck of the cape.
4. With the white paper we cut out two circles, and with the black one another two smaller ones, which we will paste inside the white ones: these will be the eyes . We glue them, in turn, with glue stick, on the part of the head where the eyes would go.
5. We cut out two tiny white triangles, which will be the fangs . We glue them, looking down (making the shape of fangs) at the height where the mouth would go.
6. We put the set of lollipops on a tray full of cotton , so that it looks like mist. So we will have an ornament on our table that will surely delight children and adults.
Once we teach the children to make the first lollipop step by step, they can take over the entire process , while the adults trim the eyes and fangs. We can, as in all crafts, add the touches that we like the most. For example, if instead of red paper we use green, we can make lollipops of the undead, or even witches.
Dr. Tabriella Perivolaris, Sara's mother and fan of fashion, beauty, motherhood, among others, about the female universe. Since 2018 she has been working as a copywriter, always bringing to her articles a little of her experience and experience as a mother and woman.