How is the love of grandparents for their grandchildren? Next we are going to talk to you about this very special relationship.
For most of the world, there is probably nothing more moving than the scenes between a grandson and his grandparents. The looks, caresses, care, words and love with which the grandparents dedicate themselves to them is most sincere and pure. But why was this special bond born?
As is known by many people, grandparents are on many occasions the people who are left in charge and care of grandchildren since parents cannot always be aware of them or take care of them. One of the main reasons for this is their professions, which do not allow them to spend so much time at home, to pick them up from school, to make them food, etc. On other occasions, a trip, an engagement or a simple getaway as a couple is what makes grandparents spend more time caring for the children , something they usually enjoy enormously.
Society has advanced in many ways. On the one hand, women are already part of the labor market and do not stay at home in charge of the children, but rather develop professionally placing themselves on equal terms with men. On the other hand, situations of breakups, separations or divorces in couples who have children are increasingly common. This fact means that when the care of the children is shared, they no longer have the support of the couple to be able to take care of them and therefore, they resort more times to the help of the grandparents with the little ones. Ultimately, these aspects are some of the reasons that cause the relationship between grandchildren and grandparents to become stronger.
WHAT DO THEY CONTRIBUTE TO EACH OTHER?
In the case of grandparents, grandchildren are for them a way to relive their youth, the stage in which they had to raise their children. They are the children of the children that they cared for and watched grow up and now, who have much more time, they enjoy them to the fullest as, in some cases, they could not do with their own children. Take them to the park, make them a snack, give them certain whims … In short, grandparents not only become their guardian angels but are usually the mediators in the relationship between their grandchildren and their children. This is because in parent-child discussions, many times the figure of the grandfather or grandmother appears to put peace and remind their grandson of all that their parents give for him as well as remind their children of everything that they, as parents, had to go through when they were children.
On the other hand, for grandchildren, grandparents are a source of wisdom . They are the ones who give them good advice, the ones who always receive them with a hug or a caress … In short, those who express their unconditional love , give them their support and are there for them always. In fact, it is precisely because of this love that grandparents give their grandchildren without asking for anything in return, that is why they, from very early on, establish a special, unbreakable relationship with them.
Finally, a series of aspects can be established that are fundamental in the grandchild and grandparents relationship:
- They support them in their actions: If one day the grandchildren get to have a fan club, their grandparents will always be number one. And it is that, their relationship is precisely so close because they always support the illusions of their grandchildren and encourage them ensuring that they will achieve it. Grandparents trust their grandchildren like no one else and although they are also there to tell them that they have done it wrong, they are probably the ones who will be the quickest to give them a smile again.
- Stories: If it weren’t for grandparents, many grandchildren would miss out on great stories that are passed down from generation to generation. Traditions, customs, historical events … And the thing is that times change and the difference between the world in which the grandparents lived and in which their grandchildren live is very different. For this reason, grandparents have things to tell that, in turn, grandchildren want to hear. Little stories that remain etched in the mind forever and that possibly will also be told to their children in the future.
- Love: Obviously, anyone can feel love beyond the relationship with their grandparents. Other relatives, friends, partners, etc. Still, like the love that a grandfather gives to his grandson, there is probably nothing like it. As previously mentioned, it is a gratuitous love, without expecting anything in return, without grudges or demands … Grandparents love to express their affection to their grandchildren regardless of whether they return it to a lesser extent. They are happy just having you around.
- They rarely say “no”: It has always been said that grandchildren are spoiled by their grandparents and although this is a general statement, the truth is that the chances of parents saying “no” are always much greater than those of a grandparent .
- Patience: Grandchildren, especially when they are younger, tend to have anger or whims that at many times drive their parents crazy. The figure of the grandparents always appears there, who with their great patience, redirect the situation.
- Less critical: Sensitivity and tenderness are usually something characteristic of grandparents in their relationship with their grandchildren and precisely because of these, when giving a reprimand or showing their displeasure, they are much less harsh and critical of their grandchildren. One of the reasons for this is because they have a longer life span and they think that many situations that occur in children are things of their age that will eventually pass. However, parents are much more concerned about these.
- Mediators and lawyers: It has always been said that grandparents are the lawyers of the grandchildren. This is because in discussions with parents, they are often able to side with the grandchildren. They are their weak point and they always try to calm their children, giving their grandchildren a little respite. Grandparents are your best mediators.
Dr. Tabriella Perivolaris, Sara's mother and fan of fashion, beauty, motherhood, among others, about the female universe. Since 2018 she has been working as a copywriter, always bringing to her articles a little of her experience and experience as a mother and woman.