If we have any suspicions that our son or daughter may be over or under healthy weight at their age, we can check it by their BMI.
When we see that our children are thin for their age or a little overweight, it is normal for us to worry about their health. The usual thing is that the pediatrician is the professional who controls the weight and height of the children, and who is the one who, in the event of any anomaly or sign that indicates that the children have some kind of problem or do not have a normal weight for your age, take action and provide pertinent information to the family.
The Body Mass Index (BMI) is the index that tells us what is the ideal weight for the height of a boy or a girl. Through its calculation, we can find out if the weight of the children or even ours is within normality or not.
Next, we are going to detail the approximate ranges of normal weight among schoolchildren whose ages range between 5 and 9 years, which are adjusted to both boys and girls:
– At 5 years: between 17 and 19 kg.
– At 6 years: between 19 and 21 kg.
– At 7 years: between 22 and 24 kg.
– At 8 years: between 24 and 26 kg.
– At 9 years: between 27 and 29 kg.
These numbers are approximate, they can serve as a reference but there is no need to worry if a boy or a girl is slightly below or above the indicated weights.
DOES THE WEIGHT DEPEND ON THE COMPLEXION OR METABOLISM OF THE CHILDREN?
Weight depends, among other factors, on the complexion and metabolism of the person. The complexion determines the amount of muscle mass that our body needs to cover our bone structure. Which means that if our bone structure is smaller than normal, we will have less muscle mass; and if our complexion is larger, we will have a greater muscle mass; But, in none of the cases, does this mean that we have problems of extreme thinness or being overweight .
With regard to metabolism, this is responsible for converting calories into energy and establishing the rate at which those calories are consumed (basal metabolism). Therefore, the metabolism influences the weight, but the latter does not depend on it. There are people who have a faster metabolism than others and their tendency to gain weight is lower than that of a person whose metabolism is slower. But this does not mean that having a slow metabolism is directly linked to
In turn, our metabolism is influenced by other factors such as:
– Sex: men tend to have less fat and more muscle than women, which means that they have a faster metabolism since they burn more calories.
– Age: as our age advances, the quality and quantity of our muscles decreases, which facilitates the accumulation of fat, weight gain and a slower metabolism that burns fewer calories.
– The size and composition of our body: bodies that are longer or have more muscle, burn more calories even when we are at rest.
In addition to the factors mentioned, it is important to know that the causes of extreme thinness or overweight are not due to metabolism or complexion that we have, but to the healthy habits that we maintain in our day to day, because these are the main responsible for that we have a normal weight or not.
IN WHICH CASES SHOULD WE CONSULT WITH THE DOCTOR?
If we observe that our son or daughter is losing a lot of weight or gaining excessively, or that it is not within the range of normal weight, despite providing adequate nutrition, we must visit a doctor to evaluate and study the case, and Determine what is the cause of this variation in weight.
Preschool and school-age children go through the most important years of physical and mental development, which is greatly influenced by their physical health. It is necessary not to let time pass until the problem is too visible , since the first signs to alert us that there may be a problem with regard to the health of children, should be reason enough to go to the doctor.
If we are sure that diet is not influencing the weight loss or gain of our children, we must take into account that the mood may be affecting. For this reason, we always recommend that there is a bond of trust between parents and children so that the latter can tell what happens or worries them whenever they want.
WAYS FOR THE CHILD TO GAIN OR LOSE WEIGHT
If our son or daughter is not in the normal BMI values, we can help you achieve them by implementing the following tips.
1. Education on healthy habits: before trying to instill a habit in our children, it is necessary to transmit a good education about the importance of acquiring good habits , especially those related to food
2. Set an example: it is useless to try to get children to eat healthy foods such as vegetables or fish , if they observe how their parents prefer to eat other types of food.
3. Regulate the purchase of foods with saturated fats: it is not about banning sweets, industrial pastries or snacks, but about teaching that these foods cannot be consumed regularly, and therefore, they will not be the usual option for breakfast , lunch or snack.
4. Avoid fast food restaurants: we know that the most attractive option to eat when we go out is to go to fast food restaurants, but it is important not to get used to resorting to these places and to teach the little ones that there are other healthier and better quality options.
5. Balanced diet: all children need a diet rich in nutrients that provide energy, for this it is advisable to choose a varied diet , both to gain weight and to lose weight. It is not about making children fat with unhealthy foods or trying to make children lose weight by reducing the amount of food or the number of daily meals.
6. Daily exercise: children need to exercise their body in order to keep their mind exercised at the same time. They spend too much time sitting at desks and it is vital that they do not get used to leading a sedentary life. Enjoying free time by practicing some activity with your family or other children your age will not only benefit your physical health, but also your emotional and mental health.
Dr. Tabriella Perivolaris, Sara's mother and fan of fashion, beauty, motherhood, among others, about the female universe. Since 2018 she has been working as a copywriter, always bringing to her articles a little of her experience and experience as a mother and woman.