Psychological pregnancy develops in some women, who feel exactly all the symptoms of a normal pregnancy, we tell you its causes and treatment.
A psychological pregnancy or pseudocyesis is a disorder that is part of the somatoform disorders, which are those that manifest the anguish and anxiety that the person has through physical symptoms. In a psychological pregnancy, the woman thinks she is pregnant because she suffers the same physical symptoms as when one is pregnant, with the exception that there is no embryo.
It can appear in women of different ages and ethnicities and is not something that can interfere with a woman’s subsequent pregnancy. It is not dangerous for the future so it is not necessary to go to the gynecologist, however psychological help is recommended to overcome the problem and see the origin of the problem.
SYMPTOMS OF PSYCHOLOGICAL PREGNANCY
The symptoms are similar to normal pregnancy , a proof of the great power of the mind over the body :
– Nausea and vomiting.
– Breast growth and milk production .
– Feeling that the fetus is moving within the placenta.
– Weight gain and abdominal growth.
– Increased appetite (which would also explain the weight gain).
– Pains similar to those of childbirth when “it is time” to give birth.
To detect it, you have to go to the gynecologist to do the appropriate tests: physical examination, laboratory tests, ultrasound, growth of the uterus … He will realize that there really is no embryo and will give you the news. The person should not trust pregnancy tests because there are women who disconcertingly even give false positives. The sooner the woman knows that it is a psychological pregnancy, the better for her because the consequences of losing a baby can be prevented , as if it were a miscarriage (anxiety, depression …), as soon as the woman is made aware Since you are not really pregnant, your body will gradually return to normal.
It is important that the woman really be convinced that her pregnancy is NOT real . Some, faced with the refusal of the gynecologist of the veracity of the pregnancy, decide to change professionals over and over again until they find someone to reaffirm the pregnancy. Faced with the fear generated by finding that the baby might not be real, the woman begins to stress and the “symptoms” of pregnancy get stronger, so that the woman thinks that everyone is wrong and that she is going to have a baby. One out of every 100 women with psychological pregnancy reaches the end of the pregnancy, then a false delivery occurs , the woman suffers the terrible pains of childbirth, only that it is a false delivery and obviously there is no dilation and nothing else happens apart fromconsumer .
WHY DOES IT APPEAR?
There are no factors that predict whether a woman will have a psychological pregnancy, but it has been seen that those who anxiously want to become pregnant and do not succeed, also older or sterile women who want a child are more likely to suffer it . On the other hand and paradoxically, young people who are afraid of becoming pregnant can suffer it, their mind plays a trick on them, leading them to a state of anxiety.
1 IN 100 WOMEN REACHES THE END OF PSYCHOLOGICAL PREGNANCY
There is also a psychological and emotional explanation to justify the increased stress and anxiety. When a woman has difficulties expressing her feelings and emotions, they can express them with physical symptoms, as in the rest of the somatoform disorders . There are several emotional situations that have been seen more frequently related to the suffering of a psychological pregnancy:
– When a woman fervently wants to have a child but her partner does not agree. Or also when even trying, they do not succeed. The anxiety and uncertainty that women feel increases the concentration of cortisol in the blood and the reproductive cycle stops because in turn the hormones LH and FSH are reduced.
– When a woman is pressured by her partner, friends and family to get pregnant, even if she doesn’t want it as badly as they do. The need to please others can cause your body to respond inappropriately.
– Non-fertile women who have not been able to have children . They have the belief that they will only fully realize themselves as women when they have a child. They face emotional stress because they fear that their dream of life will not be fulfilled.
– Women living in societies where the family is culturally a very important institution , for example in many Asian cultures.
– Sometimes it is the father of the child who experiences a psychological pregnancy , feeling the same symptoms as a woman in a state, experiences them at the same time as her partner. This phenomenon is called Couvade Syndrome , and it is more common to occur during the third month of pregnancy. The probability of it happening is 1 in 10 men and the chances of suffering it increase up to 25% if the pregnancy is risky.
TREATMENT OF PSYCHOLOGICAL PREGNANCY
The first step is to get the woman to undergo a medical examination and once made aware that there is no embryo. The sooner she recognizes that there is no such thing as a blow, the less hard it will be for her.
Once achieved, it is recommended that you go to psychological therapy to find out the origin of the pregnancy, for this you have to evaluate the situation in which you are and identify the pressures to which you are subjected. If you go to a psychiatrist, he may prescribe antidepressants or even antipsychotics. Sometimes ovulation can be stimulated so that the period appears again and the woman is convinced that there is really no pregnancy, however, you have to be very careful in this regard because the woman might believe that the doctors want to cause an abortion. .
On the other hand, and finally, psychological pregnancy should not be confused with the delusions of pregnancy that some women with schizophrenia present. The difference is that signs of pregnancy do not appear, but it is usually the woman who imagines them, in the psychological they do occur and are more than evident.
Dr. Tabriella Perivolaris, Sara's mother and fan of fashion, beauty, motherhood, among others, about the female universe. Since 2018 she has been working as a copywriter, always bringing to her articles a little of her experience and experience as a mother and woman.