It is clear that the new generations have distanced themselves from their parents, the cultural gap has become more evident in the generations that were born between the 80s and the 90s and many families now have to face two very different lifestyles and adapt at a rate that not everyone shares. And all under the same roof. The problems that this cultural gap has caused in families has become unbearable (and continues to be done today) for many children of parents who have never wanted to be interested in the factors of change that occurred in society in recent decades, and they have passed without pain or glory through the technological revolution of recent years.
It is true that parents and children grew up in very different situations and environments, so the understanding of certain aspects by parents in the lives of the very young becomes somewhat complicated, and we cannot ignore the impact they have had technologies in the day-to-day lives of today’s adolescents and young people. We are bombarded with new models of mobile phones, consoles, televisions, tablets … and our way of facing life is sustained, whether we like it or not, on technology : our free time, normally, we spend it doing anything on our mobile watching TV, or playing a new game whatever. Also our homework and studies are irretrievably supported by computers and the internet, thanks to their easy access to information of all kinds.
Despite the fact that our parents have seen us grow up surrounded by devices and have observed us with our mistakes and our vital successes, as has always happened, we still continue to hear what we do not know how to relate to, that we spend too many hours in front of the screen, that a day will come when we forget how to act face to face, that we waste time and a long list of etceteras that undoubtedly derive from a great cultural and generational gap that can undoubtedly be corrected if everyone puts their part.
BUT HOW DO YOU GET THAT?
It is clear that people who have lived life outside everything that surrounds us now will not be convinced in two days. The resources and leisure that we have today are neither better nor worse, however, we can do some things for our parents to begin, and if it is not to understand the advantages of all those means that we have at our disposal young people today to access services that were previously unthinkable, at least to glimpse the advantages that the entry of certain devices into people’s lives supposes:
– Let us share with them the things they do not understand: Who knows? Maybe they will find the point and ask you for help to start using them, who has not seen their parents succumb to the usefulness of having a mobile phone with WhatsApp at hand ?
– Being patient is key: We should not be offended when they get frustrated and dedicate a few foul words to us because they consider that we are exceeding something (it is shocking, above all, the wide use that young people give to mobile phones), on the contrary, we sigh Let’s calm down and try to explain our point of view to them. Communication in these terms is very important so as not to generate tension at home and, although the results are not fruitful, at least we will have a clear conscience and we will know that on another occasion, things will be better.
– Yes, we know how to relate : The connection with the world, contrary to what many people believe, is much broader than it was in the past and the possibilities are infinitely greater. It is true that for this reason the dangers increase, yes, but the doors that open are endless and the ways to cross them, if they are the right ones, enormously positive. We children should make our parents understand that the Internet is like a great square where everyone converges. It’s a nice idea. Many may be moved when they realize the social potential of the web and decide that it is best to learn how to use it.
– Everything becomes a tool : At the end of the day, all the technological devices that we use are nothing more than tools to make our lives easier. Whatever type they are. It is true that leisure is one of the great areas of current technology and parents may only see that facet in our generations, which causes the cultural gap to widen, so we should not let the vision of parents it comes down to that. It is important that you understand that we have work tools at our disposal that allow us to access any type of content at any time, which can be, on many occasions, very useful.
– Let’s establish priorities : Not everything is the fault of parents or the cultural gap between generations, sometimes they are right. Children, normally, are also partly to blame and we sacrifice certain tasks or facets of day to day to dedicate ourselves to the technology that gives them so much headache. Let’s not make the cultural gap bigger and establish priorities and times for everything . If they do not understand, we are in charge of gradually introducing certain elements into daily life, but without exceeding ourselves.
At the end of the day it all comes down to not despairing and knowing how to introduce those elements foreign to previous generations in daily life without throwing ourselves into the pool, being able to make them see the positive parts and convince them. They will find that what seems negative at first are actually new points of view and new ways of approaching life that can undoubtedly constitute an abysmal advantage when facing certain tasks that were previously more difficult. In the end they will know how to understand and life will become much easier for everyone. But we must also give up the children and realize when we pay more attention to the cell phone than to a conversation with our parents (and friends).
Don’t give up and find the balance between generations!